NOTES FROM THE FIELD, AREA CODE GAMES:
- Medium frame, compact and very muscular, ideal catcher’s build.
- Switch-hitter, more batspeed and natural rhythm from LH side; strong base that engages lower half w/ good hip torque; showed patience and a sense of the zone, lots of good ABs, works deep in counts and sees pitches.
- Advanced raw power, better lift and extension LH; game power from both sides of the plate; hard LH contact all week, HR to pullside hitting RH.
- Fringy present runner that will slow down as catching takes a toll on his legs; showed instincts on the bases, won’t be a clogger.
- Standout defensive actions at catcher; potential above-avg glove at premium position; sets low, quiet targets w/ soft hands receiving; vocal leader behind the plate w/ baseball IQ and intangibles well-suited for catching.
- Above-avg arm w/ strong carry and quick release; aggressive thrower that backpicks runners and impacts the overall running game.
SUMMARY: Excellent catch+throw tools w/ switch-hitting power potential at a valuable position; big league ability on both sides of the ball, really stood out at Area Codes; one of the top catchers in the class, chance to go very high in next year’s draft.