NOTES FROM THE FIELD, AREA CODE GAMES:
- Large, muscular, athletic frame stands out; pro-ready physicality, big league body type.
- Simple, repeatable stroke; plus batspeed and hip torque create consistent hard game contact when squared; showed advanced sense of the zone and pitch recognition, especially for cold-weather prep bat; bevy of offensive tools allow more projection on hitting ability.
- Size, strength, batspeed combine for advanced raw power; natural strength in swing w/ good ability to lift the ball in BP; easy to project on more HR power in time.
- 4.3-4.4 H/1B times; avg runner underway that looked a tick slower up the line.
- Physical presence at SS but moves surprisingly well for larger frame; didn’t see him challenged defensively but didn’t appear an immediate candidate to move off; 3B is most likely destination if he outgrows the middle of the field.
- Strong arm across the infield; controls body well throwing on the run, able to finish plays from different release points.
SUMMARY: Standout physicality and athleticism w/ high-ceiling tools on both sides of the ball; ceiling of impactful bat at premium position if he stays at SS; extra projection stemming from non-hotbed background; definite pro prospect w/ chance to go early in the draft.