NOTES FROM THE FIELD:
- XL frame, broad and athletic. Durable frame with good flexibility and body control for his size.
- Simple semi-windup, clean finish, strong lines down the mound, repeats well. Breaks his hands too early, causing correctable stiffness in arm-circle that impacts present command. Arm works loose and free through H3/4 slot.
- FB 91-95 (92-93); Touches 95 as a starter and has the body/arm-stroke to throw harder in short stints. Live ball that gets on hitters quickly, late hop to armside. Control over command type, gets FB over the plate but often center cuts or elevates.
- SL 84-86; True SL, sharp bite and moderate depth at best. Backs up at times but overall plays like an average pitch.
- CH 83-84; Doesn’t use much, mixes to LHH, light armside circle action. Straightens out and can catch barrels.
- CB 76-78; Occasional mix pitch for second look at breaking ball. Uses to change the pace of an at-bat.
- Establishes FB, looks to challenge with the heater. SL is primary off-speed, able to land it for early-count strikes back through a lineup.
SUMMARY: Physical righty with live arm and four-pitch mix. Best-case scenario of a true back-rotation starter, though he’ll need more seasoning to get there by developing command and third pitch. Intriguing to imagine him in a relief role, perhaps as a multi-inning opener type.