NOTES FROM THE FIELD, ARIZONA FALL LEAGUE:
- Large, broad build; prototype corner size and strength; limited athlete, slow-twitch guy.
- Loose hands with natural leverage in swing, ball jumps off the barrel when squared. Strong but not fast through the zone, doesn’t adjust well to off-speed and can be beaten away with velocity. Don’t see tools of a high average hitter, needs a power+patience approach.
- Above-avg raw, easy loft and carry to pullside. Hits his pitch a long way and can put the ball out of the park in games.
- Below-avg runner, not a part of his game, won’t offer value on the bases.
- Makes routine plays with fringy actions and hands; heavy defensive stride, limited lateral agility, challenged on range plays; will need to work to remain at 3B and think it’s likely he winds up a 1B-only.
- Playable arm at 3B that will come into the equation less if he has to move across the infield.
SUMMARY: Size and power potential make him a prospect, don’t see enough bat for regular playing time if he moves off 3B. Profiles as a platoon regular who hits for power against LHPs and moves between corner positions.