NOTES FROM THE FIELD, MINOR LEAGUE SPRING TRAINING:
- Short but strong; well-built through core and lower-half.
- Semi-windup; tall leg kick, long stride from drop/drive backside; arm wrap shows in the back, leads into fast 3/4 slot. Moderate effort, athletic overall operation.
- FB 89-92; Was low-90s in an early-spring start, has touched higher in the past; lively late hop hints there’s a tick more velo in the tank as he gets stretched out.
- CH 83-85; Best pitch, confident, shows often to both RH/LH; late dive+turnover to armside that got hitters way out front. Could be an above-avg pitch playing off a better FB if velo ticks up.
- CB 78-83; Adds and subtracts, true CB at 78-80 and a bit slurvy when thrown harder. Flashed tight bite w/ depth, ingredients of future avg ML breaking ball.
- Battles, throws strikes w/ more control than true command; worked out of some jams and showed competitive mound presence.
SUMMARY: Chance for three avg pitches as SP, but question if command/physical durability is there to turn ML lineups over. Can see stuff ticking up in short stints, potential three-pitch reliever w/ above-avg CH.