NOTES FROM THE FIELD, INSTRUCTS:
- Thick, stocky workhorse build with broad shoulders and strong lower half. Body may require maintenance with age. Starter’s frame.
- Semi-windup, moderate effort; 3/4 slot with above-avg armspeed; flies open early at times, has the tools to improve delivery.
- FB 89-91; Effortless velo, more in the tank, has shown mid-90s velo in the past. Sink+run low in the zone, flattens when up.
- SL 80-84; Inconsistent feel, backed up on him at times. Flashes hard break at best, gets chases. Doesn’t throw for consistent strikes.
- CH 82-83; Doesn’t use much but has chance to be best off-speed. Flashed plus separation and late dive, got swings over the top.
- Delivery is solid and should allow average strikethrowing with FB/CH, less control with breaker. Young enough to project on control.
SUMMARY: Big bodied righty with good shot to stick in rotation. Will lose delivery and spots at present but the frame and mechanics should help improve command. Must develop SL for it to work as starter and has fall back in pen with quality FB/CH combination.