NOTES FROM THE FIELD, ARIZONA FALL LEAGUE:
- Large and built frame that looks the part on a corner. Very strong.
- Power+patience approach; has a plan at the plate and a sense of the zone; looks to draw FBs he can yank with power to pullside; ability to work late into counts also leads to plenty of strikeouts. Better ABs versus RHP, shows platoon issues against same-side arms.
- Above-avg raw power; towering flyball drives to pullside in BP; approach and swing to get to it in games; 15-20 HR upside.
- Has a track record of stealing bases, but body has thickened up and he’s looking less mobile after numerous injuries.
- Split time between LF and 1B in regular season. Playable at best in LF, fits better at 1B from a defensive standpoint over long stretches.
- Fringy arm that is a fit for his corner-only defensive status.
SUMMARY: Big LH power gets him to the big leagues, though presuming he’s a 1B, the question is if he’ll hit lefties enough for every day ABs. See likely outcome as a semi-regular platoon guy, moving between 1B and DH and providing thump in a role where his matchups are managed.