NOTES FROM THE FIELD:
- Has filled out since signing, looks thicker through the middle and heavier than listed weight of 175.
- Semi-wind, turns away at the top, cross-body finish pulls off-line. Full circle, inverted-w at foot-strike, H3/4 slot.
- FB 90-94 (91-92); Avg SP velo that could uptick in a short-stint role. Pitches over the plate with FB, catches bats and has a hard time getting to two strikes in order to use breaking stuff as a starter.
- SL 84-86; True SL, hard turn with moderate depth. Confident in it, can throw for strikes early in the count.
- CB 80-82; Goes to CB as his out pitch. 12-6 shape is distinct from SL, hard spin with sharp bite and two-plane depth. Can get swings over top, but rarely lands for a strike and can only use it as a chase pitch late in counts.
- CH 84-85; Shows to lefties, below-avg third speed, often straightens out or is out of the zone. Occasionally flashes a tick more dive.
- Throws strikes with his FB but doesn’t locate it well enough to keep hitters off it. A move to relief will open up ability to get strikeouts on his breaking stuff.
SUMMARY: Former 1st Rd’er who has stalled a bit in the high-minors. Has a good arm and flashes miss-bat ability on breaking pitches, but might need a change of role for his stuff to play. Could contribute in relief, especially if his FB ticks up a bit pitching short stints.