NOTES FROM THE FIELD, INSTRUCTS:
- Strong, sturdy frame, thick lower half, broad shoulders. No projection; body will require some maintenance.
- Upbeat delivery with minimal effort. Quiet, on-line finish; stiff hand-break, average arm-speed, 3/4 slot, extends well.
- FB 88-90; Below-avg velo, won’t throw harder. Good angle, though lacks lateral movement. Needs to hit spots to survive.
- CB 78-80; 1-7 shape, inconsistent depth and action. Ingredients of big league breaking pitch if he can finish it more consistently.
- CH 80-82; Above-avg feel, quality separation off FB with arm-speed sell. Consistent fade action. Best pitch.
- Polished delivery allows strikes with all three pitches. Will need to nibble with FB and could run deep counts as a result.
SUMMARY: Ceiling of back-end rotation command/control lefty, type that pounds the zone with fringy velocity and two solid off-speed pitches. Will need to rely on pitchability and hitting spots to reach his ceiling as a #5 starter.