NOTES FROM THE FIELD, INSTRUCTS:
- Medium frame with large, muscular build that’s broad throughout. Looks like a power pitcher.
- Slow semi-windup, leans back as he drives forward, lands with effort. Long, off-line arm-circle; recoil after 3/4 slot.
- FB 92-96 (94); Above-avg velo, touched mid-90s as best. Heavy ball, late burst and armside run.
- CH 86-89; Overthrows and lacks separation, still flashes glimpses of sharp, late dive. Primary off-speed pitch.
- SL 86-87; Hard SL that’s usually just a spinner. Limited length or depth to break.
- Surprising ability to sequence secondaries early in the count, showed he can pitch away from his FB if he needs to.
SUMMARY: Young power arm with flashes of three big league pitches. Very raw and still numerous years away, but there’s something here. Worth monitoring to see if he’s able to gain more consistency and remain in the rotation. Good ‘pen tools down the road if not.