NOTES FROM THE FIELD, ARIZONA FALL LEAGUE:
- Large, physical frame. Broad and muscular throughout. Big league body w/ durability to withstand the catching grind.
- Lacks hit tool for everyday ABs. Slow bat w/ grooved path, can’t adjust hands in or out, exposed vs. good spin down/away.
- Natural strength gives raw power to pullside. Hits his pitch hard and a long way. Will run into some HRs despite limited contact.
- Below-avg runner, not a part of his game.
- Playable to average defender at catcher. Sets low targets for a big man, can block the ball, hands get a little stiff receiving at times.
- Avg arm w/ carry to the target.
SUMMARY: Profiles as backup catcher w/ average defense and some pop. Close to ML ready and likely gets a chance to prove himself soon in the big leagues. Will wind up a 4A guy if limited hit tool prevents him from getting to any of his power.