NOTES FROM THE FIELD, ARIZONA FALL LEAGUE:
- XL frame, broad throughout, thick hips and lower-half. Very strong.
- Power+patience approach, draws fastballs and walks to hit for power at the expense of contact. Struggles against LHP, especially same-side spin. Better velocity and command can exploit hole on the inner-third, struggles to adjust the barrel in or out.
- Plus raw power is the calling card, drives the ball easily to both fields, explosive contact w/ easy power. Punishes mistakes.
- Below-avg runner, not a part of his game.
- Below-avg defensive catcher. Hard-handed with velocity, though receiving and blocking/targets improved slightly through the fall.
- Fringy arm-strength w/ long release; will need to quicken transfer and footwork to get pop times into playable range.
SUMMARY: Long way to go in order to stay behind the plate, think he ultimately winds up a 1B-only type. Don’t see ability to hit lefties enough for everyday ABs on a corner. Big time power gets him to ML, chance to make some noise in platoon role.